Sunday, September 16, 2007

Money, Money, Money...AND?

My article described the life of Norman Hsu, who was a promient donor tot he democratic campaign until now. Now he is just a wannabe star who thought his money would get him places. It dd but then the same money brought him right back down. I want to take this moment to actually highlight the sublime brutal nature of this New York Times article: after reading this article, I felt sorry for the man, not because he was in such trouble, but because he seemed so absolutely pathetic! I cannot believe that I actually felt this way!
Anyway the article focused on how Hsu was in the race to raise $1 million dollars for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign. He raised $850,000 but it will all be returned because the nature of themoney is unknown. Accrding to the article, all Hsu wanted from CLinto was a treat in the White House. The article said that he was running away from a fraud convictin and was using his politcal connections to create a frendly business atmosphere in his career. He just wanted the celebrities to become his friends so he oculd name drop and further his business. He did succeed because many of the recipients of his donations said that he was the "go to man." And now they all snub him with a tone of tragedy.
I do not really know how to perceive this story mainly because the role of money in the election of a governemnt representative is quite appaling. Unitl now, the CLinton campaign was not doing a back ground on where the money came from. I guess the bottom line is that MONEY RULES!

Here is the link to my stroy for this post:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/us/politics/16hsu.html?pagewanted=1&ref=todayspaper

And this is my link for the last post which I obviously forgot:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20070912/cm_uc_crsesx/op_393800

1 comment:

Lisa W. Drew said...

I agree: Hsu seems so hungry for important friends. It's as if he thinks the rewards of friendship are being well known.

As for the role of money in elections, I find it beyond troubling.