Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The State of the News Media

I'm scared. I'm scared to enter a profession that seems to be on the brink today. More so when the report predicted that "the stage seems set in 2007 for more business turmoil, a negative industry image and further cuts in the newsroom’s capacity to do public-service reporting with distinction." I want to be a newsreporter not for a local TV network, but for a newspaper. But now it seems like I will have to hone my skill at digital journalism, which apparently does not have a set standard, but does have a high user rate ie if I inferred the statistics of the report correctly. I personally found the report to be quite disappointing. Although the press still plays an important role in society today, the report suggests a decrease in consumer rates for hard news. The report said that many Republicans do not find any of the news outlets credible except for FOX. FOX to me is a joke. The obvious nature of political bias within the media is claerly obstrcting the popularity of newswatching amongst the audience. But what hurt me the most was the conclusion that many news outlets were focusing on "hyper localism" in order to appeal to their audiences. Do we really need to make an ignorant society as such, even more ignorant? Do we need to place a protective shell over a bubble that never seems to burst unless something like 9/11 happens? I'm not saying that we should not focus on local news, but what I'm just saying is that we need to be aware of the fact that we are world citizens. Journalism is a service to society. Economic issues seem to have hindered the path of journalists realizng their actual need in society. The report said that news organizations need to rework their economic model. Money. Money. Money. And then there is the truth.

1 comment:

Lisa W. Drew said...

You have a right to be scared. I want you to know what you're getting into. However, I don't think the hunger for news will abate at all, and I also think readers/audiences appreciate getting their news from professionals. The big question is how to pay for it, and I like to think there will be solutions. At this point, however, you know as much about the future of journalism as I do.